Ballers: 20 Things Everyone in Their 20’s Are Doingon Aug 18, 2017
This is a critical decade in life where 20-something’s are laying the groundwork for major successes in their careers, relationships, health, and well-being. Millennials have stormed their way into society as the hustlers, boat-rockers, innovative, thought-provoking renegades challenging the norm, bulking the system and breaking down old, stymie paradigms.
What contributes to their triumph?
There is no magical eight ball answer to this question, however, I believe it has something to do with a major awakening. Millennials are shifting society out of ignorance and into the truth, unbeknownst to many who still live in the dark corners of their cubicles.
If you are brave enough to reject the current popular perception of 20-somethings having no work ethic, you may be able to see the light here; that this generation might just be the “way-makers” for others to come.
And while health insurance, 401Ks, anti-depressants, mainstream media and the traditional 9-5 are disappearing, here’s what Millennials are doing to rock out in their 20’s:
1. Everything is Mindful. From organic toothpaste to environmental friendly fashion, and Gwyneth Paltrow as their ring leader of conscious living, they eat, sleep and breathe a mindful lifestyle.
2. Breaking the Divorce Mold. Drink, party, Bumble, Tinder, hook-up, next… Millennials are getting all the dysfunction out before they settle down for a more serious relationship - which usually will mosey on in during their 30’s. “I feel like you don’t know if someone’s equipped for a romantic relationship until they’re out of their twenties,” quotes controversial Girls star, Lena Dunham.
3. Holistic Renegades. Here’s to the yogis, vegetarian, mind-body-soul meditation gurus who are liberating themselves from the depths of despair into personal freedom. This generation is confronting diseases like cancer, Alzheimer’s and obesity (and let’s not forget, the societal plagued depression and anxiety disorders) head on with alternative sources of medicine and self-care practices.
4. Work-Life Balance Masters. Millennials are absolutely destroying the 9 to 5 paradigm, creating a more meaningful way of living. Whether it’s working from home or creating more desirable work hours, they certainly experience life with zest all while making a living and still spending QT with their loved ones.
5. Gadgets Galore. Entertaining themselves with Beats, GoPros, Selfie Sticks, and Amazon Fire Sticks, 20-somethings are personalizing their spaces. This is also proven in the wellness world with Fitbits, personal massage devices like truMedic© TENS Units and sleep tracking wearables.
6. Traveling Nomads. With the rise of Airbnb, life became much easier (and affordable) for 20-somethings to go out there and experience the world on a shoe string budget. If there is a cool place on this planet, a Millennial will find it.
7. From Passion to Profit. "With no family to feed and no dependents counting on you, your 20's are without a doubt the years to take a leap and pursue your passion," says Jessie Goldenberg, who abandoned a promising media career shortly after college to start her own business, the successful mobile fashion boutique Nomad, reports Business Insider.
8. They keep learning and self teach.
9. They believe in something bigger than themselves.
10. They don’t isolate themselves.
11. They take measured risks.
12. They associate with people who push them to be better.
13. They understand that their parents aren't always right.
14. They will call you out if you aren’t being real.
15. They are individuals.
16. They have a mission.
17. They believe politics and drama are a waste of time.
18. They value equality.
19. They let go of things.
20. They don’t settle.
The stereotypes, that Millennials are selfish and entitled, do not hold up under the microscope. They are actually ballers.
Julie Fink | Guest Writer