Four Healthy Foods to Add to Your Shopping List This Yearon Aug 22, 2016
Nutritionists are always working to find the best foods to incorporate into any healthy diet. With so much good information and so many recipe ideas, who has time to read all of it? The following is a list of the best foods to jump-start your healthy shopping list this year, and suggestions for how to use them.
- Chia Seeds
- Why? In every tablespoon, these seeds deliver two grams of protein and four grams of fiber. They are also rich in alpha-linolenic acid, which is great for the heart. These seeds have roots as far back as the Aztecs. Their water-absorptive quality makes them easy on the stomach and cause the consumer to feel full longer.
- How? Toss one serving of these seeds into your yogurt for a quick snack. They also make a great addition to oatmeal or pancakes at breakfast.
- Why? Coconut oil and water have gotten a lot of press in recent years. However, their cousin is now on the rise. You can find coconut flour in the gluten-free section of the market. With five grams of fiber in a two-tablespoon serving, this is a great addition to any baking endeavor.
- How? Replace regular flour with coconut flour in your zucchini bread recipe. Rather than making a loaf, use a cupcake pan. These easy to make treats are a great snack.
- Why? Dulse in particular is high in iodine as well as potassium and iron. This food supports the thyroid, which assists your body in weight and energy management. Dulse is found in the natural foods section of grocery stores, usually in the form of dried flakes or strips.
- How? At your next gathering, make an avocado dip using dulce. Just blend one tablespoon with one chopped avocado, three diced scallions, one tablespoon of lemon juice, and a touch of cayenne.
- Why? This spice contains bio-active compounds with anti-inflammatory properties. It is also very rich in antioxidants. To get the full benefit of turmeric, consume it with black pepper. The two complement each other to help increase absorption of healthful properties.
- How? Throw just a pinch of this spice into your roasted vegetables at dinner. This adds a pleasant kick without being overwhelming.